Drinking alcohol is not bad, per se. Just the right amount of it can have a relaxing effect. And drinking with friends is an excellent social experience. However, drinking heavily can lead to severe repercussions, making it vital to know the signs of alcohol overdose. Fortunately, Georgia Addiction Treatment Center can provide the treatment necessary.
Alcohol overdose or alcohol poisoning is a serious health problem that involves consuming too much alcohol. It often happens when you drink heavily at one time. It is life-threatening, so make sure to call for help when someone shows signs of alcohol overdose.
Signs of Alcohol Overdose
Alcohol poisoning can happen quickly in just a short time. One moment, the person may be happily drinking, and then suddenly, they are showing symptoms of severe intoxication. One thing to keep in mind is that the levels of alcohol overdose differ from person to person.
So what are the signs of alcohol overdose? These flags include:
- Pale or bluish skin
- Abnormal breathing
In severe cases, one’s breathing may stop altogether. Someone could also have a heart attack. Because they often vomit while their breathing slows down, there is the risk of choking. They may even inhale the vomit into the lungs and cause a severe infection.
If the person becomes severely dehydrated, they can sustain brain damage. Moreover, their blood glucose levels may drop, which might cause seizures. Acute alcohol poisoning can cause a person to fall into a coma and eventually die.
You don’t really need to know every sign of alcohol overdose before calling for help. If someone you know has been drinking heavily, passed out, and has slowed breathing, contact 911 right away.
Risk Factors of Alcohol Overdose
Are you at risk of having an alcohol overdose? There numerous risk factors for alcohol poisoning that include:
- Body size
- Health conditions
- Drug use
Young adults are more at risk for alcohol overdose since they tend to drink more excessively. Men are also more likely to experience this problem than women. And the smaller your body results in a shorter time necessary to experience possible adverse effects of alcohol.
If you have a small body and you drink the same amount of alcohol as a larger-bodied individual, you may get alcohol poisoning. Contrary to what some people think, having high alcohol tolerance puts you at a higher risk for overdose. It’s because you don’t feel the effects of alcohol.
Do you binge drink? Consuming more than five beverages in an hour also increases your risk for alcohol overdose. Having health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease and taking drugs puts you at an even higher risk.
Alcohol Poisoning Management and Treatment
When you see someone showings signs of alcohol overdose, call 911 right away. As you wait for the paramedics to come, make sure you don’t leave that person. If they are conscious, communicate with them and let them know help is on the way.
Give them a warm blanket, keep them sitting if they can, and let them drink a sip of water. If unconscious, turn the person to their side to avoid choking on their vomit. When the paramedics arrive, let them know what type of alcohol the person drank and how much.
At the hospital, the doctors and nurses will treat alcohol overdose. Some of the treatments include oxygen therapy, intravenous fluids, or hemodialysis. They may also flush the stomach of the toxins in the body.
Prevent Alcohol Overdose through Addiction Treatment
Addiction and mental illnesses are two of the possible reasons behind heavy drinking that lead to alcohol intoxication. Besides knowing the signs of alcohol overdose, entering an addiction treatment program can help too. So, don’t take any unnecessary risks. Pay attention to the signs of alcohol overdose. Contact the expert team at the Georgia Addiction Treatment Center at 855.952.3546 for help today.