Overcoming a heroin addiction is a battle from day one. However, it is rewarding once you get past detox. Part of the process you will go through is dealing with heroin withdrawal symptoms. The thought of experiencing this holds some people back from moving forward. If you seek help from a heroin addiction treatment program, then you will manage the symptoms more capably.
Common Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms
Learn more about the six common heroin withdrawal symptoms you can expect during detox.
Heroin is an opiate that can be incredibly addicting. When you take it for a while, your body becomes dependent on it. Stopping it abruptly brings about an upset in the system. Nausea may be one of the first signs you notice. Also, if nausea progresses, it can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, which have the capability of being dangerous. If vomiting and diarrhea persist during your withdrawal phase, it can lead to dehydration.
One of the heroin withdrawal symptoms that can be troublesome for people is anxiety. Anxiety manifests itself in different ways for different people. From an upset stomach to profuse sweating to a rapid heartbeat, you may experience a wide range of physical and psychological symptoms with anxiety.
Since heroin is a depressant, it relaxes the muscles and calms the system. It makes sense then that you would experience muscle spasms after quitting the substance. When the muscles contract and have a spasm, you may experience a bit of pain or cramping too. Otherwise, the spasms are mostly uncomfortable.
It’s difficult to deal with a depressed mood, but that is what happens when you withdraw from heroin. You may notice your mood is down, and you have very little energy. You may lack the motivation to do your normal daily routine when you withdraw from heroin. This makes it hard to function without heroin addiction treatment. Going through an addiction treatment program can get you back on track so that your mood is normal again.
Feeling irritable is another one of the signs of heroin withdrawal. It can impact everyone around you when you’re feeling moody or snappy. Your brain is trying to cope with not having access to heroin, and this can make everything around you seem negative.
One of the most obvious signs of going through withdrawal is craving the drug. You may feel like you’re crawling the walls with your nerves on edge because of the cravings. This can manifest itself in different ways. You might think about the drugs all the time or have various physical sensations that are like strong urges to do heroin. A heroin addiction treatment center will aid you in getting through this difficult time.
Why Should You Consider Professional Heroin Detox Services?
If you’re detoxing from heroin, there are a few reasons why professional services might be a good idea.
- You have more support: When you detox from heroin in a professional setting, you have access to nurses and doctors who can help you through the tough process. If you try to detox at home, you may be on your own with no one to help you through the difficult moments.
- You have medical supervision: One of the dangers of detoxing from heroin is that there is a risk of relapse if you don’t do it correctly. When you go through professional detox services, you have someone watching over you so that if something goes wrong, they can intervene. This decreases the chances of relapse and keeps you safe.
- Your treatment is tailored to you: The professionals who work in heroin detox centers have experience working with people who are detoxing from this drug. They know the best way to help you through the process, and they can adjust their plan depending on how you’re doing. This individualized care increases your chances of success.
- You have access to medication: There are medications that can help ease the symptoms of heroin withdrawal. When you go through professional detox services, you have access to these medications and can take them as needed. This makes the process much more comfortable for you.
If you’re considering detoxing from heroin, professional services are a good option. With medical supervision and support, you can safely get through the detox process and start on the road to recovery.
Help for Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms
At Georgia Addiction Treatment Center, we are here to help you cope with heroin withdrawal symptoms. Our trusted, board-certified staff is prepared to walk you through the process of withdrawal. We offer a full range of treatment programs designed to fit your unique situation. By using evidence-based therapies and treatments, we will help you get to the root of your problem.
Some of the therapies we offer include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Trauma therapy program
- Individual therapy program
- Group therapy program
Reach out to our team today to learn more.
Contact Georgia Addiction Treatment Center
Get started with the rehab admissions process by reaching out to our case coordinator today. Don’t let heroin withdrawal symptoms hold you back from seeking the treatment you require. You can overcome the problems of heroin addiction with a helping hand from professionals. Contact Georgia Addiction Treatment Center at 855.952.3546, and we will work together to find you a path forward.